Monday, November 05, 2007

Mission Peak, too close for comfort


I literally work at the base of Mission Peak in Fremont, the 2500 foot summit is visible from the front of the building and for many years it was just a nice view.
Then my Trek 5500 broke, and left only with the old steel 26-27 pound Moser, still rusted to the trainer, or my non suspension Kona MTB, a choice had to be made.
Kona it was, and me and the moutain have been trading blows for a few months now. The big problem is that it is so close to work that i get no warm up. Within 1 minute of leaving I am in upper zone 3 and on the point of yacking. Initially, the mountain took a few rounds, I was getting body blows left, right, center. Going up mid day in the heat was not helping either, the charge up the initial grade was just so i could turn the bend in the trail and find the shade.
However, after a few weeks of kidney punches i started taking a few swipes back and now i think we are even.
Going up is still difficult, i just go faster. But coming back down , well, that's sooo much better now. Yer know, it's amazing how big a rock you can hit, with a non suspension fork, and still live to blog about it. And on Thursday's, when i get some extra time, i ride over to Monument Peak on trails where there are no bike tracks and the grass grows in the wheel ruts and teh ground squirrels are like TOTALLY surprised by me flying by at 25 mph, sometimes airbourne.
I was even happy to get a flat tyre, coz it gave me time to relax and just soak in the view and sun and the solitude.

Gazmundo

No comments: