Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Food for thought (scary ideas)

Nothing to do with bikes.

I read on the front page of the paper yesterday that the Intergovermental Panel on Climate Change published it's final report.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_7514077?IADID=Search-www.insidebayarea.com-www.insidebayarea.com

It's not a feel good feeling when they say the whole world has to end all growth in carbon emissions in seven years and mostly free of carbon emitting technologies in about 40 years to avoid the death of 25% of the plants species. Holy crap.
Do you think that the worlds goverments are strong enough to do this. Do you think that the western world will make sure that happens, globally. Do I stick my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye.

It's not about me of course, but about my children and your children and the world they will inherit. So, i guess I will reduce my own personal carbon footprint, which means the Camaro has to go. Replaced with what, I have no idea, I think that will depend upon where i end up working in the middle of next year. (but that's another blog entry to come).

Imagine what it will take to do what they say we have to do, just to minimize the effects to raising global sea levels to two feet. Forget defence budget, plow all that money into converting the USA into the most eco friendly nation. Will the car and oil companies change that quick? Of course the US government could do the unthinkable, and nationalize them so that they have to do what there told to do. Can you imagine that. The lawsuits would go on for decades, even as the courthouse in DC is slowly submerged under the Atlantic ocean.

So the sea levels rise two feet, big whoop. Well, 15% of the worlds population live in the flood zone. Imagine the Katrina affect globally. Londons under water, New Orleans, New York, Venice and another 1000 coastal cities, all those populations evacuating, all at the same time. Thats a lot of FEMA trailers. So i say forget redeveloping New Orleans, get the peple out now, before they are removed in a 1000x more body bags. Don't fight the effects, fight the cause. It's cheaper, more efficient and morally correct. But when was any Western government moral, or strong enough to do the right thing.

Watch this video and tell me i'm wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDsIFspVzfI

Scared shitless

1 comment:

TreBone said...

Seriously, this makes me think. The global economy HAS to change in order for the environment to be saved. But people wont change until they "feel" it. Sadly, by then, it'll be too late.

I don't want my kids to ever say, "Hey, do you remember trees?"